Your adventure begins in Queenstown.
6 November 2018 to 10 November 2018
- 152km of traffic free cycling
- Tunnels, bridges and viaducts to to cycle through and experience
- Learn about the history of the rail trail and the area it passes through
- In summer only - there is an old mine site to explore
- A variety of animals to see as you cycle along
- Magical scenery every day
The ride covers 152km on the rail trail. Originally a train track which fell into disuse but has been resurrected as a cycling/walking/horse riding route through beautiful countryside. The gradient is mostly flat or, at most, 3% grade. The route is classified as a grade 1 trail. On day 1 of the ride you undertake a side trip to the 150th Anniversary Track. This is a grade 2 trail and requires some mountain biking skills.
The trip includes 5 nights of accommodation in private rooms with en-suite facilities. Your accommodation will be a mix of motel, hotel and lodge rooms.
The Otago Central Rail Trail adventure dates are timed to coincide with the Taeiri Gorge train schedule. So when you finish cycling you will board the train and travel through beautiful countryside on your way back to Dunedin. We start the cycle trip on a Tuesday in Queenstown and finish at 6.00pm in Dunedin on the following Saturday.
- 5 nights twin share accommodation in superior rooms (with en-suites)
- 5 day bike hire (includes helmets and 2 panniers)
- 4 breakfasts and 1 dinner
- Luggage transfers to accommodation while on the rail trail
- Bus shuttle from Queenstown to Clyde and Middlemarch to Pukerangi
- Taeiri Gorge train from Pukerangi to Dunedin
- Souvenir snood, beanie and re-usable cup
- Souvenir Rail Trail passport
- En-route support by Cycle Away staff
- Dinner on the final night on the trail - at Waipaita
- Travel insurance
- On-trail food and drinks (lunch, morning/afternoon tea and dinner}
- Air fares to/from New Zealand
- Shuttle to/from airports
- Single supplement of $190
- 1 night twin share accommodation in superior room in Dunedin (optional)
$1825.00 - (Ride With Friends discount) if paid (in full) 1 July 2018
$1975.00 - early bird payment if paid (in full) 1 July 2018
$2075.00 - if paid (in full) after 15 July 2018
Tour price is based on twin share accommodation.
Single rider supplement $190.00 - if you would like us to match you with a fellow rider for twin share accommodation, please advise at time of booking and we will put you in touch with other riders willing to share.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY:
Notice of cancellation must be in writing directly to Cycle Away, with an email as an acceptable form of communication. The following cancellation conditions apply:
Cancellation 60 days plus prior to trip departure - loss of deposit
Cancellation 59 - 30 days prior to trip departure - 50% loss of the tour cost
Cancellation 29 - 15 days prior to trip departure - 75% loss of the tour cost
Cancellation within 14 days of the trip departure - 100% loss of the tour cost
No refund is available after departure of a tour has commenced.
Capped at: We need a minimum of 7 riders and will take up to 10 riders on the trail. The ride will only proceed if minimum numbers obtained
Tuesday - Day 1 – 20km
Bus shuttle Queenstown to Clyde - 9.15am departure and arrive Clyde 10.40am.
Collect hire bikes (mountain bikes) and complete shakedown ride to Alexandra on the 150th Anniversary Track which follows the Clutha River.
Overnight accommodation at Clyde.
Wednesday - Day 2 – 37 km
Start riding the trail from Clyde to Omakau. We will stop at Chatto Creek pub for lunch.
Overnight accommodation at Omakau.
Thursday - Day 3 – 30km
Cycle from Omakau to Ophir, smell the freshest air in the world and then onto our accommodation at Oturehua. Small town with lots to see. A tour of Hays Engineering is optional. Dinner at the Oturehua Hotel and we feel sure you will enjoy the gourmet meal.
Overnight accommodation at Oturehua.
Friday - Day 4 – 33km
We will pass the highest point on the trail and head back down into the valley. We arrive at Wedderburn in time for morning tea. Ranfurly is our largest town for the day and we will be able to explore the town and enjoy a lovely lunch spot.
Overnight accommodation at Waipaita.
Breakfast and dinner included.
Saturday - Day 5 – 51km
An early start and off to the end of the trail at Middlemarch. We will have lunch at the amazing Otago Central Hotel midway between Waipaita and Middlemarch. After returning our trusty steeds we head to a local café for a well-earned snack. We'll then board the shuttle bus to Pukerangi to embark on the Taeiri Gorge train for a journey through beautiful countryside to Dunedin. This fantastic train journey with great scenery reminds us we are in the lovely South Island of New Zealand. We disembark at Dunedin Railway station at approximately 6.00pm on Saturday night.